The Harker School is a coeducational, non-sectarian, college preparatory school serving grades Preschool through 12. Located in San Jose, Harker has four campuses located within minutes of each other. For over 100 years, Harker's mission has remained constant: to create an environment that promotes academic excellence, inspires intellectual curiosity, expects personal accountability and forever instills a genuine passion for learning. For more information on The Harker School, please visit the website at www.harker.org.
We are currently searching for a Cook I for our Food Service Department. This position is a full time, non-exempt, 12 - month position. This position works Monday - Friday with a maximum shift of 6 hours. Shift times to be determined.
Cook l works as part of the food service team and directly supports Kitchen Manager and/or Cook ll in the preparation and serving of daily meals. Cook l is responsible for proper food handling and working in a clean safe environment. As a member of the Harker staff, Food Service employees are expected to be supportive of the schools goals, objectives, policies and procedures and to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
Essential functions and basic duties:
- Prep, cook and set up / serve meals
- Maintain and replenish food in serving area
- Place food and supply orders daily
- Maintain and prepare food for catering requests
- Maintain, clean and sanitize kitchen
- Prepare for next day’s menu and meals
- Create menus and daily specials
- Assist where needed in other areas including Dish room, Catering etc.
- Follows daily duties for Cook I as assigned by campus
- Other duties as needed and assigned by Cook II, Kitchen Manager or Food Service Director
Required Knowledge and Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to direct and mentor Kitchen Aides and Interns as needed
- Thorough knowledge of proper food handling procedures
- Understanding of food preparation terms and techniques
- The ability to react to change productively and complete tasks as assigned in a timely manner
- The ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
- Proficient knife skills
- Knowledge of and ability to operate kitchen tools and machinery safely and effectively
- Ability to make decisions on use of excess food items using F.I.F.O.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a kitchen environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to understand, accept and follow; instruction, guidance, supervision and requests for assistance
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience cooking and working in the food service industry
- 2 year culinary degree preferred
- Experience in large scale food preparation
- Ability to work a varied schedule of hours and days, including some weekends, as needed to fulfill the needs of the food service department
- Ability to adapt to changes in schedule or kitchen/campus location which may be required in order to fulfill the needs of the food service department
- Must meet all the Health and safety regulations, including uniform and hair restraints
- Ability to receive fingerprint clearance through DOJ and FBI
- Ability to receive a negative TB (Tuberculosis) test result
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Ability to stand and walk during 6 hour shift
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, twist and wipe
- Ability to lift and carry supplies and equipment up to 40 pounds and place items on high and low shelves
- Must work in a noisy and crowded environment
- Must work in and around fumes and odors
- Exposure to varying temperatures
- Exposure to chemicals used in washing dishes, utensils and surrounding areas of kitchen
- Frequently immerses hands in water
- Must wear proper slip resistant shoes at all times
- Must wear required uniform at all times
Prior to beginning work for The Harker School, and as a condition of employment, all employees must go through Live Scan Fingerprinting as well as provide a copy of a negative TB test.
The Harker School will respond only to those candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements of the position. The Harker School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you would like to complete an application in person, please visit one of our four campuses to obtain an application from the reception area.