The Harker School is a coeducational, non-sectarian, college preparatory school serving grades Preschool through 12. Located in San Jose, Harker has four campuses located within minutes of each other. For over 100 years, Harker's mission has remained constant: to create an environment that promotes academic excellence, inspires intellectual curiosity, expects personal accountability and forever instills a genuine passion for learning. For more information on The Harker School, please visit the website at www.harker.org.
We are currently searching for a Part Time Athletic Trainer for our Upper School Athletic Program.
To provide athletic training services to student athletes engaged in interscholastic athletic activities at Harker. This includes the acute care of athletic injuries, as well as their evaluation, ongoing care, and rehabilitation. The Assistant Athletic Trainer serves to facilitate communication between Head athletic trainer, athletes, coaches, parents, other health care professionals, administration, and community concerning the health and physical status of athletes and how that may affect participation in school or athletics.
• Bachelor's Degree in related field (Required)
• BOC Certified Athletic Trainer (Required)
• CPR/AED Certification (Required)
• CSCS or equivalent certification (Desired)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide first aid and emergency care of injured student athletes.
• Evaluate athletic injuries and make decisions regarding return to participation.
• Determine need for physician evaluation, communicate need with parents and help coordinate referral with assistance from Head Athletic Trainer.
• Carry out physician's orders in administering therapeutic exercise and rehabilitation through use of manual therapy techniques, cryotherapy, heat, massage, electrical stimulation, ultrasound and other treatment modalities.
• Assist with proper fitting of safety equipment, helmets, when required.
• Provide injury prevention techniques including taping, bracing, wrapping, and bandaging.
• Monitor environmental concerns including heat, lightning.
• Help ensure safe playing surfaces and equipment.
• Maintain records of athletic injuries and treatments; prepare injury reports.
• Ensure Athletic Training Room and equipment is clean and sanitary.
• Inform Head Athletic Trainer of supply needs for the care and treatment of athletic injuries.
• Assist with supervision of athletic training interns.
• Provide event coverage for home athletic events as schedule allows, with priority to higher risk contact sports. This includes first aid care for visiting athletic teams as necessary. Also provides coverage of high priority "away" competitions including football games and playoff competitions.
• Educate student athletes about any aspect of injury, reconditioning, and nutrition as required.
• Help maintain protocols for emergency care and keep coaches informed of the Emergency Action Plan.
• In conjunction with Head Athletic Trainer, implement concussion protocol including baseline ImPACT testing and coach education.
• Be aware of medical conditions of student athletes and their Individual Plan of Care for athletics.
• Help coordinate with Assistant to the Athletic Director the required annual student athletic paperwork.
• Additional duties as assigned
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Help with general site preparedness for athletic events as necessary.
• Assist with Equipment distribution, collection, and laundry as necessary.
Knowledge, Skill & Ability Requirements
• Experience working in secondary school setting
• May be subject to extended periods of time standing or walking.
• Majority of time may be spent outside resulting in exposure to extremes in either heat or cold as weather and temperatures vary.
Prior to beginning work for The Harker School, and as a condition of employment, all employees must go through Live Scan Fingerprinting as well as provide a copy of a negative TB test.
The Harker School will respond only to those candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements of the position. The Harker School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you would like to complete an application in person, please visit one of our four campuses to obtain an application from the reception area.