We are currently searching for a Dishwasher for our Food Service Department. This position is a full time, non-exempt, 12 - month position. This position works Monday - Friday with a maximum shift of 6 hours. Shift times to be determined.
Dishwashers work as part of the food service team and support the Kitchen Aides, Cooks and Kitchen Manager. Dishwashers are responsible for cleaning dishes, utensils, food preparation equipment and various kitchen/dining areas. Dishwashers are responsible for proper food handling and creating a clean, safe working environment. As a member of the Harker staff, Food Service employees are expected to be supportive of the schools goals, objectives policy and procedures and to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
Essential functions and basic duties
• Wash all dishes, pots and pans using dishwashers or by hand
• Transfer food, supplies and equipment between storage and work areas, by hand or a using cart
• Clean dishwashing machine, dishwashing area and underneath dishwasher
• Shut off power switch on dish machine at the end of the day
• Ensures that kitchen and work areas are clean, secure and well maintained on a daily basis
• Get supplies for the cook as needed
• Keep freezer and walk-in clean and in order
• Empty all trashcans in kitchen area
• Wash and restock tables in dining area as needed throughout the day
• Sweep and mop dining room and kitchen floors
• Clean floor drains weekly
• Assist in washing and preparing various foods for cooking or serving as needed
• Assist other kitchen staff when requested
• Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned
• Follows daily duties for Dishwasher as assigned by campus
• Other duties as needed and assigned by Kitchen Aide, Cook, Kitchen Manager or Food Service Director
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Ability to safely operate dish washing equipment
• Ability to complete work within a timely manner
• Ability to work in fast paced environment
• Ability to work cooperatively in a kitchen environment
• Ability to understand, accept and follow; instruction, guidance, supervision and requests for assistance
• Ability to work a varied schedule of hours and days, including some weekends, as needed to fulfill the needs of the food service department
• Ability to adapt to changes in schedule or kitchen/campus location which may be required in order to fulfill the needs of the food service department
• Ability receive fingerprint clearance through DOJ and FBI
• Ability to receive a negative TB (Tuberculosis) test result
• Ability to communicate effectively in English
• Ability to stand and walk during 6 hour shift
• Ability to reach, bend, stoop, twist and wipe
• Ability to lift and carry supplies and equipment up to 40 pounds and place items on high and low shelves
• Must work in a noisy and crowded environment
• Must work in and around fumes and odors
• Exposure to varying temperatures
• Exposure to chemicals used in washing dishes, utensils and surrounding areas of kitchen
• Frequently immerses hands in water
• Must wear proper slip resistant shoes at all times
• Must wear required uniform at all times
The Harker School is a coeducational, non-sectarian, college preparatory school serving grades Preschool through 12. Located in San Jose, Harker has four campuses located within minutes of each other. For over 100 years, Harker's mission has remained constant: to create an environment that promotes academic excellence, inspires intellectual curiosity, expects personal accountability and forever instills a genuine passion for learning. For more information on The Harker School, please visit the website at www.harker.org.
Prior to beginning work for The Harker School, and as a condition of employment, all employees must go through Live Scan Fingerprinting as well as provide a copy of a negative TB test.
The Harker School will respond only to those candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements of the position. The Harker School is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
If you would like to complete an application in person, please visit one of our four campuses to obtain an application from the reception area.