We are currently searching for a Kitchen Aide I for our Food Service Department. This position is a full time, non-exempt, 12 - month position. This position works Monday - Friday with a maximum shift of 6 hours. Shift times to be determined.
Kitchen Aide I preps/prepares cold and/or hot foods for breakfast and lunch. Helps cook, bag, tray and serve meals. The kitchen Aide II works as part of the food service team and helps to maintain the efficiency of the overall kitchen operation, by supporting the Cooks and Kitchen Manager. As a member of the Harker staff, Food Service employees are expected to be supportive of the schools goals, objectives, policies and procedures and to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
Essential functions and basic duties:
• Assists with ordering
• Assists with menu planning
• Prep sandwiches
• Prep and maintain salad bar
• Help prep food for special events
• Stock work station
• Assist in prep/preparing and serving meals
• Pack field trip lunches when needed
• Wrap, label and date all unused food
• Maintain, clean and sanitize kitchen
• Prep menu foods needed for next day
• Help stock, prepare and serve foods for snack bar
• Organize and clean walk-in, freezer, storeroom and put orders away in proper F.I.F.O
• Assist where needed in other areas including Dish room, Catering etc.
• Follows daily duties for Kitchen Aide II as assigned by campus
• Other duties as needed and assigned by Cook, Kitchen Manager or Food Service Director
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Thorough knowledge of proper food handling procedures
• The ability to change tasks efficiently and complete assigned jobs in a timely manner
• The ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
• Developed knowledge of knife skills and cooking techniques
• Knowledge of and ability to operate kitchen equipment safely and effectively
• Ability direct employees and coordinate daily operations
• Ability to work cooperatively in a kitchen environment
• Ability to work both individually and in a team environment
• Ability to understand, accept and follow; guidance, instruction, supervision and requests for assistance
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in a commercial food service environment
• Ability to work a varied schedule of hours and days, including some weekends, as needed to fulfill the needs of the food service department
• Ability to adapt to changes in schedule or kitchen/campus location which may be required in order to fulfill the needs of the food service department
• Must meet all the Health and safety regulations, including uniform and hair restraints
• Ability to receive fingerprint clearance through DOJ and FBI
• Ability to receive a negative TB (Tuberculosis) test result
• Ability to communicate effectively in English
• Ability to stand and walk during 6 hour shift
• Ability to reach, bend, stoop, twist and wipe
• Ability to lift and carry supplies and equipment up to 40 pounds and place items on high and low shelves
• Must work in a noisy and crowded environment
• Must work in and around fumes and odors
• Exposure to varying temperatures
• Exposure to chemicals used in washing dishes, utensils and surrounding areas of kitchen
• Frequently immerses hands in water
• Must wear proper slip resistant shoes at all times
• Must wear required uniform at all times
The Harker School is a coeducational, non-sectarian, college preparatory school serving grades Preschool through 12. Located in San Jose, Harker has four campuses located within minutes of each other. For over 100 years, Harker's mission has remained constant: to create an environment that promotes academic excellence, inspires intellectual curiosity, expects personal accountability and forever instills a genuine passion for learning. For more information on The Harker School, please visit the website at www.harker.org.
Prior to beginning work for The Harker School, and as a condition of employment, all employees must go through Live Scan Fingerprinting as well as provide a copy of a negative TB test.
The Harker School will respond only to those candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements of the position. The Harker School is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
If you would like to complete an application in person, please visit one of our four campuses to obtain an application from the reception area.